Disability Tax (#DisabilityTax) (#NoDisabilityTax)
The extra financial costs that people with disabilities incur because of our society’s construction of disability (see also social model of disability).
Our objective is to eliminate these financial penalties through changes to policies.
These costs include:
- Asset limits for disabled individuals to qualify for disability services and benefits.
- Income limits for disabled individuals to qualify for disability services and benefits.
- Co-pays for disability services
- Subminimum wages
- Inadequate salaries and supports for both professional and family caregivers
- Under-funding of disability programs including education, housing, etc.
- Under-reimbursement for disability services making them noncompetitive in the marketplace.
- Under-insurance for vision aids (glasses) and hearing aids
Disability services and benefits need to move to a universal insurance program.